Monday, August 18, 2008

Massholes

I can almost not believe what I'm about to proclaim. New York Yankees fans are not the most annoying sports fans on the planet.

To be more accurate, they are a close second only to the most recent Boston Red Sox legion, or "nation" if you will. I recall a time, before the 2004 World Series, that I rooted, boisterously I might add, for this team that had been suffering such a long championship drought. You see, when I have no investment in either team during a game, I will certainly cheer for the unfavored team, and this was especially true during the 2004 ALCS when the Sox were down three games to none against none other than the Yankees. I understand why there is such a contingency of fans of both of these squads: they win games! It's a well-known fact that winning teams have fair-weather fans that come out of the woodwork when their teams excel. But there are far too many BoSox fans pledging their undying love who were too young to even recall Bill Buckner's error; I'm looking at you, sorority girl in pink Pedroia jersey.

Understand that this is not a criticism of the team itself. The organization is a testament of how to build a team. That being said, I'll be there when the Baltimore Orioles get to the playoffs for the first time in over a decade, standing on my same soapbox, pointing my fingers at the fans that weren't there during these not-so-pleasant seasons.

Go O's.

No comments: